District 9 is without doubt, the most original and funny movie I’ve seen in ages. The storyline was unique and the little alien facts were original (and funny). It was 1hr 52min of hypnotizing entertainment.
District 9 Plot
- Aliens are stranded on earth and humans segregate them into a slum area now known as District 9 (hence the movie title)
- Humans and aliens don’t get along well
- Humans decided to evict the aliens and move them to a remote location, far away from humans
- While serving eviction notices, Wikus van der Merwe (our staring character), becomes infected with an unknown alien substance, and things start to change…
…Oh yeah. Humans can understand the alien’s language, and they can understand English
Vancouver Connection to District 9
Who Should See District 9
EVERYONE! I would honestly recommend this movie to practically everyone!
I was expecting an aliens vs humans type shoot-em-up film with little storyline. Instead, it had a clear plot, characters I could emphasize with, and great special effects. Yes, there were still guns and exploding body parts, but it was very well done!
It was also very funny! The main character, who was a bit of a geeky guy, ended up running around like an action hero by the end of the movie (and it was believable)!
What did I learn from this movie?
- Aliens love cat food!
- When evicting aliens from their homes, be careful what you touch.
- By consuming alien blood, some believe you gain their power.
- The derogatory term for aliens (well this species anyway) is “Prawns.”
Who should NOT see District 9
If you hate the sight of blood, get dizzy too easily (it’s filmed like a documentary with a shaky camera), or don’t like the F word used a lot, perhaps this is not your cup of tea.
Recommendation: (5/5 stars)
I’d love to hear your thoughts on District 9. What parts did you find hilarious? What did you like/dislike about the film?Filed under Reviews | Comment (1)