The Canada Line, the new skytrain line from Vancouver Airport to downtown Vancouver is opening on Monday, August 17,” over 3 months ahead of schedule!
What you need to know
- 16 new stations +19km on new track = 26mins from Vancouver Airport to downtown
- On Aug 17 from 1pm -9pm service on this new line will be FREE!
- Regular zone fares will be in effect until 2010 when a special “Add Fare” will be needed to the Bridgeport and 3 Sea Island stations
- There will be some revised bus service routes
Other Exciting Canada Line Facts
- Your cell phone will work the entire trip (even underground)
- Bikes are allowed on board at all hours (including rush-hour)
- Extra large train cars allow for more room to transport your luggage
It will be FREE to ride this new line between 1 and 9 pm on Aug 17, but as Translink predicts, it could get quite busy. Leave lots of extra time and be patient. I’m looking forward to taking the Canada Line for a test drive!
I live nearby one of the new stations, but didn’t think I’d have much time to use the new Canada Line as I may be moving soon. Now that the line is open so early, you might just see me riding my bike to my local station to get downtown (much more convienent than taking the 45min, crowded and hot bus).
Learn more about the Translink Canada Line.
UPDATE Aug 17: I will be posting some pictures and video from my first trip on the skytrain today. Check back later this evening or tomorrow to see them (Teaser: I also got my picture taken with Fin from the Vancouver Canucks).Filed under News | Comments (0)